Sharla's Perfect Guacamole

If you live anywhere in Texas, chances are guacamole is a staple at any get together. No? Well, it is in my family! My daddy was always the guacamole maker and I was probably 9 or 10 when he taught me how to make it. Since then, I've experimented with it a little and figured out the absolute best way to make it... ever! Everytime I make it and take it somewhere people want to know the secret, which really... there's not one! I often wonder what makes it so wonderful, there are few ingredients... but I think I've narrowed it down to the one that counts: GARLIC POWDER. It packs the most punch. This recipe makes about 3 cups of guacamole, so you may want to double it for a larger party.  I actually took this to church not long ago and a lady there had NEVER had guacamole!!  I was floored...!!  She LOVED it!!!  It's THAT good!

Sharla's Perfect Guacamole


Ingredients
6 medium Haas avocados
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
3/4 white onion, finely chopped
1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper
1/2 lime, juiced

Directions
Halve and peel avocados. The best way to get the seed out is to whack it with a knife and twist... if you've never done this before, do so with caution! I really don't want to see any comments about missing fingers after trying to make my guacamole, ha!! Hold the side of the avocado in your left hand (assuming you use your right for cutting!) and tuck your fingers in. Bring the knife down smack in the center of the seed, wedging it about 1/4 of the way in. With the knife secure in the seed, twist the knife to twist the seed... this should loosen the seed enough to pull it out. Pull and viola! no more seed, perfectly in tact avocado!! I learned this when I was like 22... late to the party, as usual! Anyway, you'll never try another way to de-seed an avocado once you try this one... unless you do happen to cut of a digit or two!! :0) I'm sorry I didn't get any pictures of this method but my husband was outside playing with Reagan and it would have been hard to take those pics by myself... LOL! Make sure you keep 2-3 seeds, you'll need them in a bit. OK, so now... you have two halves with no seed... take a spoon and scoop that baby out!! Dump them all into a bowl.



I prefer to use a metal potato masher to smash the avocados, but you can use a fork.



Don't mash them too much, you want this to be slightly chunky, not smooth.



Dump in your tomatoes, onion and pepper. Mix to incorporate.





I said to use 2 Tbsp of garlic powder, and that is probably very close, but really I sprinkle it to cover the surface three times. This may be a little more or less than 2 exact tablespoons. When in doubt, do less and add more later. Sorry I can't be super specific on that!!





Add salt, pepper and lime juice and mix thoroughly.



You now have the absolute best guacamole you'll ever eat!! Remember the seeds we saved?? Place those in the bowl you serve the guacamole in, they really do help to keep it fresh.



The lime juice also keeps it from oxidizing. It will stay green for hours.

Now, here's another little tip... the best chips in the whole wide world are Julio's chips. They are these amazing tortilla chips that are seasoned. Julio's is a Mexican restaurant in Laredo, Texas and while we've never been to Laredo or eaten there... we definitely buy a lot of their products! If you don't live in Texas you may not have any luck finding these... but it's worth looking for sure!!




One last note... you can make this recipe in the food processor, it's just not as chunky (obviously!). I do this if I'm in a BIG hurry... just put the tomato, onion and seeded pepper into the food processor until it is fine but NOT pureed. I do dump it out before adding the avocado in case there is too much, you don't want runny guacamole, that's for sure! Then I puree the avocados in the food processor, remove to a bowl and mix in the tomato blend slowly, stirring to the right consistency. Then add the garlic powder, salt, pepper and lime juice the same as above. This will obviously be a lot more smooth, it tastes the same, but I TOTALLY prefer the chunky texture!!

ENJOY!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, now I want guacamole and I don't have any avocados. Your recipe looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww!! It is the best ever!! Seriously, LOL - go get avocados!!!! NOW!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete