Mashed Potatoes

Easy, right?  Well, they aren't for everybody!  Here is what I do to make traditional mashed potatoes!  And remember, the type of potato you use MATTERS!  Russet and Idaho's will break down and become mealy when boiled, so Yukon are my faves.

Mashed Potatoes


Ingredients:
5 lb bag Yukon Gold potatoes
2 Tbsp salt
1 stick butter
3/4 cup milk

Directions:
Peel and slice potatoes into 2" cubes.  I don't even try to wash my potatoes before peeling them, there is no point.  After you peel the potato, but before you dice it, wash it well with cold water.

Place chunks in a large pot and cover with water.  SALT your water!  Potatoes will take on a lot of water, so add a good amount over the top.  Usually about an extra inch of water and make sure you check on them.

Bring to a boil and boil about 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender to the fork.

Drain the water and place the potatoes back in the original pot.  Add the butter and mix with a masher until blended and the butter is melted.  Add the milk slowly.  Depending on how much water your potatoes took on, you may need more or less milk.  After you've mashed them thoroughly, check the consistency.  If needed add more milk.  Also, if you prefer more butter, salt or pepper, add it now.

Not for Thanksgiving, but other times, I often make garlic mashed potatoes.  I follow these same directions except that I add whole garlic cloves in with the raw potatoes and boil them together.  Then, when I mash they just get mashed up together as well.  This is SO good and a family fave!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment