Grilled Oysters

When I was a little girl, I ate oysters ALL the time.  I LOVED them.  RAW.  Uh huh.  Until I was about 6 or 7.  And when I say raw, I mean raw - with no cracker, no horseradish, no cocktail sauce, no nothing.  Just a slippery oyster.  After 6 or so, I quit eating them all together.  I think I bit into one once.  The ultimate raw oyster no-no, LOL.

The first year Kyle and I vacationed in NOLA, we ate at Bacco in the French Quarter (sadly, it's now closed).  It was a Brennan family Italian restaurant and it was marvelous!  We were there celebrating our anniversary and when the chef found out, he sent us a few tastings.  One was a panko fried oyster on a bed of greens with a dipping sauce.  It was the most amazing bite of food I've ever put in my mouth, EVER!  From that moment on, I was hooked again.  And honestly, there's almost something adventurous about eating oysters, haha.  Is it sad that I find adventure in food?!  Hmmm...

Anyway, we eat at Acme Oyster House SEVERAL times each time we go to NOLA.  It's an obsession.  I think it may be the actual reason we keep returning, haha.  We are obsessed with their grilled oysters... they are amazing.  We usually get a few dozen each trip.  Sometimes every day!  When we went to Lake Charles I almost died of heartbreak that the nearest Acme was still 2 hours away!!!

A few weeks ago, Kyle went to the grocery store while I was at home, dying from a head cold.  It was a bad one!  Anyway, when he got home he said "I REALLY wish you weren't sick," um, yeah!  You and me both buddy, LOL - then he said "HEB had a 9 pack of fresh oysters for $6!!"  Well, then I was REALLY wishing I wasn't sick!

I've had the hardest time living in San Antonio for one reason: NO FRESH SEAFOOD!!!!  I'd have never known that moving just 2 1/2 hours from the coast would limit my seafood selection so badly!!  So, I have to rely on HEB for seafood.  It's not ideal.  But these oysters are fresh and they even give you their harvest date - it's awesome!

So, before I continue my novel... I'll give you the recipe!!!

Grilled Oysters


Ingredients:
Fresh oysters, on the half shell
1 stick butter
2 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 Tbsp minced or dried onion
1 tsp red pepper fakes
dash Tabasco 
salt, to taste

Directions:
Soften the butter by leaving it out or in the microwave.  Gently mash it with a fork.  Add the next 5 ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Place butter on a piece of plastic wrap and form into a roll.  Refrigerate until thickened again.

Word to the wise - our oysters are in the shell, they don't come on the half shell, so we shuck them.  This is a process.  Not entirely hard, but you gotta know how to do it.  So, keep that in mind before running to buy this stuff!



So, shuck and clean your oysters, leaving them attached to the bottom shell.  


As you can see, these aren't huge - but the flavor is impeccable!

Take the butter out of the fridge, slice it and place a slice on each oyster.  Place on the grill and cook until done - you'll know this when it starts to really bubble and the oyster shell begins to char a little. 



We serve these with grilled bread.  I slice a french baguette and butter one side with the leftover garlic butter mix.  Then we place it on the grill, butter side up on the top rack of the grill for about 2 minutes per side.  Be careful not to burn it, so really watch it.

I need a picture of the butter and the bread, a better one on the actual grill! :)  We'll be making these again soon, as there is another bag in my fridge as I type!  I'll take more pictures and post those too!!!  

Let me know if you make these - they are amazing.  And for $6 - you can't beat that!!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment